When I first started working out regularly back in August I did so in front of my TV in the living room. It was fine, but I was dragging free weights and resistance bands out daily and then making sure no one else needed the space. I felt like it just wasn’t meant for me. I also happened to have a guest bedroom (I know this is a luxury – sorry to sound like a big ol’ brat). I started doing the math. Guests once a year. Working out 5 times a week. So yeah, sorry guests (really just my sister). You no longer have a bedroom.
This room has changed the game for me. I feel not only more accountable for working out because of its existence, but also more like a bad ass. Because yeah. I’ve got a workout room. But I’m a normal girl, not a body builder. These are the REAL tools I think are essential.
- ROKU/TV – The thing about working out at home is having an easy, reliable medium to access your workouts. This little device works like having your phone on your TV with apps. I use Beachbody On Demand, which recently became available on ROKU. I love it. The interface is super easy and I don’t have to mess around with DVDs.
- Weights. I don’t care who you are, you need some weights. These things will change your body. Stop running on the treadmill people, that is NOT changing your body. That is just boring you to tears. I hear women tell me all the time that they ran for miles or did the elliptical for an hour and aren’t seeing results. I work out no more than 45 minutes a day, usually less, and my results are huge. A lot of that is nutrition, but lifting weights is a game changer. Need help on what workouts to pick? I’ve got a few recommendations!
- Motivation. I really feel like surrounding yourself with the mantras that speak to you can be the difference between quitting 5 minutes early and finishing strong. I surround myself with quotes and images of things that keep me inspired during a rough set.
- Command center. So great, you are working out and feeling strong! Really awesome! But are you planning your meals? Do you know what workout you’re doing tomorrow? If not, all of that work could be for naught. My command center is full of my personal business (you know, those kids and such) and my meal planning/workout prep information. 21 Day Fix, Clean Eating, you name it… My binder is relatively organized and my program materials are never far from reach. Fail to plan and you plan to fail.
- Storage. At 5:30am, you don’t want to be fumbling around in your bedroom for your sports bra. Your partner also does not want that. I keep all of my workout clothes, socks, hair ties and headbands in this dresser. I just drag my tired body into the room and get dressed here. Easy peasy!
- Maybe you’re like, OK yeah, but really… what about equipment? It all depends on your program. Right now I’m doing a program that requires a bench and pull-up bar, but I’ve never used those items before. So pick your program, find out what you need and build your gym from there. Need help picking one? Yeah I can help with that:). See this? It means I’m a coach and I’d love to help.